Preparing for a bushfire
Create your safety plan
Prepare your property
Know your insurance cover
Preparing for the upcoming bushfire season can help reduce the impact and damage to your home. Here's what you can do.
Prepare your home:
- Draw up a Home Emergency Plan that includes where you and your family will go if you have to evacuate your home and how you will contact each other if separated.
- Prepare an emergency pack containing tinned food, a tin-opener, water, a first-aid kit, blankets, warm clothing, spare batteries, matches, a battery-powered radio and gloves.
- Gather sentimental, important and valuable items, documents and photos that you can take with you should you need to evacuate.
- Clear leaves from gutters, roofs and downpipes; mow your lawn; and trim low-lying branches around your home.
- Fit quality metal leaf guards on gutters.
- Equip your premises with a sufficient number of fire extinguishers.
- Tidy your back yard and move flammable material such as piles of wood, paper, boxes, crates
and garden furniture away from your home.
- Speak to your broker or insurance provider to review your insurance. Make sure you know what your insurance covers, and that the sum you are insured for covers the replacement value of the items you wish to insure.
During a bushfire:
- Contact 000 or your local SES in any emergency. Use a battery-powered radio to monitor your local radio station for updates on the bushfire, weather, power supply, emergency warnings and evacuation alerts.
- Close all windows, shutters and doors. Plug any gaps with wet towels.
- Wear protective clothing.
- Before you leave the premises turn off gas and power.
- If you can, safely evacuate.
- Monitor and follow the advice of emergency officials.
After a bushfire:
- If there is any danger, contact 000 or your Local SES.
- Stay away from fallen power lines and anything that they may be touching. Also avoid damaged gas lines.
- Check for small spot fires on your premises and extinguish them if possible.
- Once the danger has passed, take photos of damaged or destroyed items before disposing of them to assist in any insurance claims.
- Speak to your broker or insurance provider to lodge your claim, or make a claim online at bankvic.com.au or call 13 63 73.
We’re here to help
If you need help with your insurance, please visit bankvic.com.au/insurance or contact us on 13 63 73 for a free no-obligation quote.