Finding the right contents insurance is just as important for tenants as it is for home owners.

  • Landlord insurance does not cover a tenant's belongings
  • What contents insurance do I need as a tenant?
  • Claim online, anytime 7 days a week

There's nothing like finding that perfect home to rent – a safe haven, filled with the things that make you happy. With many of us spending more time at home recently, we've become invested in our surroundings and our belongings are more precious than ever.

But what happens if a storm causes a leak in the roof of the property you are renting? Or an electrical fault starts a small fire? Preparing for the unexpected means having the right insurance.

As a tenant, am I responsible for insuring my contents?

Yes. When you rent a property, as a tenant you are responsible for insuring your personal belongings. Renters insurance covers you against a range of scenarios including theft, flood1, fire1. Landlords should also have insurance to protect the building and its fixed fittings and fixtures, but their policy won't cover their tenants' possessions.

BankVic insurance specialist Anna Majic says it's not uncommon for tenants to mistakenly believe that their landlord's insurance will protect their contents, however that is not the case.

"To ensure their own belongings are covered, tenants should consider whether they should take out their own contents insurance policy," says Anna. "This protects them against damage to, or loss of, belongings due to unplanned scenarios such as fire1, theft, flood1 and storm1 damage."

"Computers, bikes, jewellery and smartphones are all expensive items to replace, and although we hope no one has to experience an insurance-related event, getting the right level of coverage brings protection and peace of mind."

What if I need to make a claim?

BankVic's friendly and knowledgeable team can provide information around the claims process, should that be required.

"Everyone needs guidance and reassurance, especially if you've never claimed before," says Anna. "We understand and take the time to clarify your coverage and provide information on how to lodge a claim to help make the claims process as straight forward as possible."

To find a contents insurance policy that best suits your needs, contact BankVic’s insurance team on 13 63 73 or visit BankVic insurance.

Police Financial Services Limited ABN 33 087 651 661 AFSL and Australian Credit Licence 240293 trading as BankVic arranges this insurance as agent for the insurer Allianz Australia Insurance Limited ABN 15 000 122 850 AFS Licence No. 234708. We do not provide any advice based on any consideration of your objectives, financial situation or needs. Policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Before making a decision, please consider the Product Disclosure Statement and key fact sheets available from or by calling 13 63 73. The relevant Target Market Determination is available by calling 13 63 73. If you purchase this insurance, we will receive a commission that is a percentage of the premium. Ask us for more details before we provide you with services.
1. We do not provide cover for any loss of or damage to your property caused by cyclone, flood, grassfires and bushfires, during the first 72 hours after you take out a policy or increase your cover under an existing policy.